Grilling the lobster on a charcoal grill requires approximately the same amount of preparation and time when compared to boiling or steaming. But grilling the lobsters on a charcoal grill penetrates the flavors of coal, butter, and lemon. You can also do other side stuff on the grill itself like melting the butter, doing the veggies, etc. everything while relaxing in the outdoors. There are plenty of health-related reasons too why you should consider making lobster once in a while.
Some of the facts about eating lobsters are –
1) Lobsters contain selenium, a mineral that improves cognitive functioning, immune system, and fertility in both, men and women.
2) Lobsters are also a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
3) Eating lobsters can decrease the chances of causing depression, thyroid diseases, and anemia.
Also check this recipe: How to Cook Chicken Wings on Gas Grill?
Some Things to Consider Before Consuming Lobsters on Grills
1) Lobsters contain mercury metal which can become harmful if taken in large quantities. Therefore, we must not consume it more than six times a month.
2) Because of the above-mentioned reason, pregnant women should take extra care.
3) Shellfish allergies are pretty common across people. So, if you find yourself diagnosed with shellfish allergy, you should avoid eating it as the consequences are quite painful; such as vomiting, shortness of breath, diarrhea, stomach pain, etc.
Now that we are aware of both the sides, benefits, and restrictions of eating lobsters, let us quickly look at the preparations required and the super easy recipe.
Ingredients and Tools Required
You’ll need a charcoal grill (or a Gas Grill), some paper towels, boiling water, an ice bath, a pair of tongs, a cleaver to cut the lobster, a mixing bowl, lobsters, unsalted butter, finely chopped parsley, crushed red chile flakes, finely chopped cloves garlic, a lemon, ground black pepper, kosher salt, olive oil, and other required material.
CLEAN THE GRILL
To clean the grill, wipe the grates of the grill with paper towels to remove the fats and other residue attached to it from the previous cook. If this is not done then it will affect the taste of the delicious dish we are going to make.
SEAFOOD SAFETY TIPS
Some of the basic things to keep in mind while dealing with any seafood are:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- Before cooking rinse the seafood with cold water.
- Do not let seafood juices drip on the counter.
- Wash all the utensils involved in preparing the food.
- Refrigerate the seafood below 40 F before ready to use.
Preparing The Lobster
There are two different methods of how people cook lobsters, some people just cut the tail part cook it, others, cook the whole lobsters. We’re going to look for the recipe for cooking the lobster as a whole. The first thing you want to do with the lobster is to keep it in boiling for about 3-4 minutes and then directly displacing them to an ice bath. In this way, the lobster will find its death much humane and peaceful. Then cut the lobster into two symmetrical halves. Cut the rubber bands with the help of a cleaver.
THE MAIN RECIPE
1. Firstly, ignite the flame and leave it on medium-high flame for a few minutes to preheat the grill. Preheating will ensure that the meat does not stick to the grill grates.
2. Meanwhile, combine unsalted butter, parsley, lemon, salt, pepper, chile flakes in a bowl and make a paste by mixing everything.
3. Broadcast pinches of black pepper and salt on the meat side of the lobsters. Apply some olive oil all over the lobster; this will not make the meat stick to the grates of the grill.
4. Place the meat part such that it faces the flame. Cook it for the next 2-3 minutes. Do not expose it to the flame for more than that as it will turn the meat hard and make it black in color and it won’t remain chewable anymore!
5. Next, toss the lobsters to the shell part and cook it for a minute. Apply the paste which we made earlier with the help of a brush and squeeze the lemon evenly throughout the body.
6. Grab the pieces with the help of tongs and place them in a dish. Garnish the dish with your favorite veggies which may include coriander, cucumber, etc. You may sprinkle salt and some seasonings of your liking to spice up the flavor. You may squeeze lemon as well to enhance the flavor.
Also Check: How to Cook Steak on Gas Grill?
Safety Measures to Keep While Using Charcoal Grill
We have seen the complete recipe for making grilled lobsters. But knowing the recipe is not enough. We must also take care of a few important safety measures while working with the grill. So, here are some of the useful tips to keep in mind while cooking on the grill.
- Take your grill outdoors where there is enough ventilation for the coal to burn properly.
- Do not use kerosene, gasoline, or any other volatile liquids as a catalyst for burning since it may explode.
- As an alternative to the above light fluids, you can use an electric or metal chimney.
- Do not use electric starters when it is raining or when standing on wet ground as there is a risk of getting an electric shock,
- Once the grill is ignited, keep a safe distance from the grill and do not touch the briquettes to check if they are hot.
- Do not keep the grill covered before ready to use.
- Do not dispose of the burned-out coal immediately. Let it cool for at least 48 more hours.