Pellet grills are incredibly popular since their inception in the 1980s and they are trending in the contemporary market. The primary reason for their growing popularity is the all-in-one cooking mechanism. You can grill, bake, roast, braise, smoke, sear, char grill, BBQ, etc. in this one cooking appliance. But pellet grills are comparatively expensive than other types of grills and can go up to $1500. However, you can also find these unique grills at reasonably lower prices. Here are the top 5 best pellet grills under $500 trending in the contemporary market.
Here are the Best Pellet Grills Under $500
- Best Overall: Camp Chef PG24 SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
- Best 6 in 1 BBQ Grill: Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill
- Great Choice Under $500: PIT BOSS PB440D2 Wood Pellet Grill
- Best Portable Grill: Green Mountain DCWF Wood Pellet Tailgating Grill
- Alternative Under $500: Z GRILLS ZPG-7002BPro Wood Pellet Grill
Top 5 Best Pellet Grills Under $500
1. Camp Chef PG24 SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill – Best Overall
|Controls and functionality||9.1|
|Value for money||9.5|
The digital controller Gen 2 w/New PID Smoke Pro pellet grill from Camp Chef is for outdoor use and is popular for its perfectly cooking delicious and flavorful foods. This pellet grill has an automatic mechanism to dispense whenever you wish to use it and automatically shuts when it gets over. The product has a large hopper with an 18lbs capacity enough to hold sufficient pellets to go for a long time. Similarly, the cooking surface of the grill is also larger enough with 19.5” x 22” and a warming or smoking dimension of 6” x 24”.
You can conveniently generate 160-degree Fahrenheit to 500-degree Fahrenheit smoke levels in this product to cook various recipes especially briskets, chicken, ribs, etc. as per their heat requirements. Eventually, the grill infuses a marvelous smoky and most delicious flavor into your foods. The product further has the option to regulate the temperature from low to high to cook the items as per their requirements and make the food tasty and healthy.
Besides, the cooking process of the grill is very easy. You need to just set the temperature and relax. The grill automatically maintains the exact level of temperature by feeding the required pellet into the grill. The appliance comes with a digital temperature reading mechanism that helps in monitoring the heat easily. Ultimately, you need not depend upon guesswork to perfectly cook the foods with the help of a digital temperature reading mechanism.
Above all, the manufacturer provides detailed user instruction along with the product. You need to follow the instructions for the safety and easy cooking processes of your foods. For example, you must never work in the grill when it is plugged in which may lead to serious electric shock and other consequences.
Similarly, never put your fingers in the auger and never leave the grill in snow or rain without cover. You must also take care of the pellets in the hopper and never store the pellets for a long period in the hopper. Consequently, the pellets left longer in the auger have high chances of absorbing moisture and clog the auger. On the other hand, make sure that you have pellets in the hopper before you use the grill.
- Extra-large cooking surface with 429-square inches of cooking space and 144-square inches of additional cooking rack.
- Can cook with both modes, low heat and slow smoking or high temperature and faster cooking.
- The one-pull ash clean system makes ash removal easier, faster, and perfectly cleans the ash.
- The features of the internal temperature sensor and meat temperature probe make cooking meat easy and fast.
- The grease management mechanism and the system of pellet purge make cooking more convenient.
- The feature of electric auto ignition is a pleasant experience for any new user.
- The grill is strictly for outdoor use and must never be used for commercial purposes.
- You must strictly follow the instruction to avoid fire accidents.
- Take care of fire accidents as the warranty does not cover them.
Also Check: Top 10 Best Pellet Grills in the Market
2. Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill – Best 6 in 1 BBQ Grill
|Controls and functionality||9.3|
|Value for money||9.4|
This 6 in 1 BBQ smoker and grill is a 2020 upgraded version from Z GRILLS and can roast, braise, bake, smoke, grill, sear, and chargrill along with BBQ. In fact, the manufacturer has mentioned it as a 6 in 1 appliance but it can give you 8 in 1 service. As in most pellet grills, cooking is very easy in this pellet grill. You need to just set the temperature and relax whereas the ZPG-450A does its job without bothering you.
The product comes with PID technology that keeps the tightest temperature all through the process of cooking and provides consistent cooking. Eventually, you can conveniently set the temperature from 180-degree Fahrenheit to 450-degree Fahrenheit and cook anything you like. Similarly, you need not change the mode to use its 8 in 1 feature. You can further roast, braise, bake, smoke, grill, sear, char grill, and BBQ at one go in the appliance.
The grill is specially designed for small families but provides big results in terms of taste, quantity, and flavor. The appliance is made of sturdy steel and extreme temperature powder coating to last long. In addition to this, the cover and racks of the grill are rust-proof. Its budget-friendly hopper can hold 15lbs pellets and lasts considerably longer minimizing the need of filling the pellet again and again. A 20lbs pellet refilling can provide you 20 hours of cooking service. The digital temperature control mechanism incorporated in the grill automatically fills the pellet as and when the temperature is required in the grill.
Whatever you do in this unique 8 in 1 grill like bake, smoke, grill, sear, etc., and whichever recipe you prepare, the appliance cooks perfectly and evenly through its convection heat distribution technology. Besides this, the grill provides a foldable working shelf for your convenience of cooking. The manufacturer further recommends using natural hardwood as fuel to retain the pure hardwood taste and flavor in your food.
- A large cooking surface of 452-square inches makes 8 in 1 cooking most convenient and perfect.
- 10-degree stay temperature helps in warming the food as well as for slow cooking.
- Comes with heavy-duty and all-terrain wheels.
- The adjustable temperature feature provides versatile cooking opportunities for both cooking the ribs at a lower temperature in a slow process as well as cooking the wood-fired pizza at a hot temperature and instantly.
- Cost-effective especially the pellet consumption which costs (a bag/20lbs of pellets) around $25 and burns for 50 hours.
- It may take time to assemble the pellet grill if you do it alone.
- You may be perplexed because it may all of a sudden heat up to the maximum temperature initially.
- Customer service may be potentially embarrassing.
Must Read: How to Clean a Pellet Grill?
3. PIT BOSS PB440D2 Wood Pellet Grill – Great Choice Under $500
|Controls and functionality||9.1|
|Value for money||9.3|
The PB440D2 model of wood pellet grill and smoker from the PIT BOSS brand is made of premium gauge stainless steel and is popular because of its durability. This deluxe wood pellet grill comes with a large 450-square inches of cooking surface, subsequently 341-square inches at the main level and 124-square inches at the upper rack. Eventually, the product comes with all-terrain wheels for easy portability and durability.
It has a removable side serving/shelf tray and has the feature of direct and indirect heat mechanisms. The appliance is also incorporated with a digital control board w/LED readout system that provides the opportunity to monitor the cooking process conveniently. In addition to this, the cooking grates of the grill are made of porcelain that makes the appliance long-lasting.
The grill is incorporated with several useful features like standard temperature ranging from 150-degree Fahrenheit to 500-degree Fahrenheit, flame broiler for direct and indirect flame grilling, stainless steel bottle opener, convection cooking, etc. You can easily cook as many as 20 burgers at a time in the grill to serve a big gathering.
The hopper capacity of the grill is 5lbs and fills the pellet automatically as per the need of the temperature. The grill is powered by natural hardwood pellets and ensures marvelous taste and flavor. Like any other pellet grill in the market, this unique PB440D2 model from PIT BOSS can perfectly serve several purposes like BBQ, searing, baking, smoking, grilling, roasting, braising, etc.
- The serving tray and side shelf, stainless steel bottle opener, and solid bottom shelf are very useful combinations in the grill.
- The recommended 100% all-natural wood pellet provides perfect and adequate heat of 40000BTU.
- The 200-watt auto ignitor is effective for ignition.
- The automatic start and cool-down mechanism give a pleasant cooking experience.
- The auger may go on feeding the pellet resulting in the generation of the highest temperature that may not be regulated.
4. Green Mountain DCWF Wood Pellet Tailgating Grill – Best Portable Grill
|Controls and functionality||8.9|
|Value for money||9.2|
The DCWF or Davy Crocket Sense Mate Electric Wi-Fi wood pellet grill from the Green Mountain brand is a portable and foldable grill. This green-colored unique grill comes with the features of a sense-mate and thermal sensor that monitors the temperature of the grill spontaneously and constantly. It also comes with a peaked lid for rib racks, a meat probe, and a convenience tray.
Eventually, the grill folds and fits into any trunk and justifies its name of tailgating grill. The grill comes with a 12-volt adapter and offers three power options.
The entire mechanism of the grill is operated with a Wi-Fi system and you can monitor it through your iOS or Android phone. You can conveniently use this unique model for several purposes like camping, hunting, tailgating, music festivals, house-boating, etc., or home purposes.
- Very easy to cook with its unique features especially the sense mate and Wi-Fi system.
- Its portability, especially the foldable option is very useful for outdoor use.
- The Meat probe and rib racks are helpful for convenient cooking.
- The temperature setting may malfunction after a one/two-time cooking.
- The grill may not cook evenly.
Must Check: Best Portable Pellet Grills of 2021
5. Z GRILLS ZPG-7002BPro Wood Pellet Grill – Alternative Under $500
|Controls and functionality||8.9|
|Value for money||9.1|
This 8 in 1 unique pellet grill from the reputed Z GRILLS brand comes with several features that can offer delicious wood fire taste and flavor. You can bake pizza, biscuits, or smoke fish, jerky, ribs, or grill vegetables, burgers, or roast, sear, char grill anything you like in this appliance.
The advanced auger system of the grill feeds the pellet automatically in the grill when it is required. A 20lbs of the pellet can last for 10 hours when you keep the grill at smoke mode. Its digital temperature mechanism helps you to monitor the process of cooking and helps you cook perfectly without guesswork. Similarly, the grill cooks foods evenly with its convection heat distribution technology.
- The grease bucket holder and waste oil collector are useful for cleaning.
- The protective grate in the hopper is an additional safety measure, especially from the auger.
- Large 694-square inches of cooking surface.
- The extra storage facility on the bottom shelf.
- The product may come with damaged parts.
Must Check: List of Best Pellet Grills in the Market
What to Ensure While Buying a Pellet Grill Under $500?
Consider the following things while buying your pellet grill so that you might not regret it after they reach your home.
- At the outset, check for the built-in features and built-in grills.
- Often pellet grills do not stand sturdy. So, ensure that the grill is freestanding and sturdy.
- Durability is important and easy cleaning is essential.
- Choose between PID or non-PID, and PID-plus or advanced PID.
- Similarly, choose between pellet smoker, practical pellet smoker, a premium pellet smoker, etc.
Also Check: Best Budget Pellet Grills Under $300
Frequently Asked Questions
Durability, built-in configuration, sturdy and freestanding, and temperature range, etc.
Pellet grills are though expensive but they are worth buying because of their versatile cooking options and taste and flavor of the foods.
Pellet grills are excellent for outdoor cooking but they are unimaginably better in smoking foods. Smoking is better than grilling in pellet grills.
In case you like gas grills: List of Best Gas Grills in the Market
Pellet grills are incredible no doubt but affordability is the potential question. Everybody would dream to buy a pellet grill and get the opportunity of versatile cooking experience. But buying a pellet grill often hurts the purse. However, you can eventually choose the one from the above top 5 pellet grills under $500 and fulfill your expectations of grilling, baking, roasting, smoking, etc.